Lake Merritt, Oakland California
Order a print of this map.
It was a cloudy late July morning in the field. We basically walked along the Northern lakeshore path for most of the flight. Throughout the flight we had to guide the balloon below and around obstructions and hazards. the winds were fairly calm and it was fairly easy to control the position of the balloon with the tether.
Navigating the balloon around the trees.
Among the things to explore in this map:
-Children's Fairyland http://fairyland.org/ An Oakland mainstay.
-Lake Merritt Boating Center
-Golden State Bonsai Collection
-Oakland Lawn Bowling Club
-Oakland Croquet Club
-Rotary Nature Center
3 person balloon recovery team; one person is wrangling the line in, one is feeding it evenly and centered to the tether, and the remaining person works the spool.
Need help making a map?
Do you have a site in mind which you'd like to map? Looking for collaborators or just need some tips and advice?
- Join the mailing list -- it's full of people all over the world who are offer advice and support
- Contact Public Laboratory staff directly
- Read about balloon mapping and assemble your own kit
- Download the 5-page illustrated guide to balloon and kite mapping
When getting in touch, be sure to mention:
- the coordinates of the site
- context; what you'd like to use the data for
How to use this data
How can you leverage this data towards concrete outcomes? ...
- Publishing this data on your site, in an article or a paper
- Interpreting and annotating
- Advocacy and activism
- Legal framework