Occupy UC Davis - Nov. 21, 2011
Order a print of this map.
Students, faculty, alumni, and the community in general gathered to voice their disapproval of the pepper spraying of non-violent protestors on campus.
The plastic bottle that is visible in the video is the second camera, which is taking still images. The video was captured with a mobile phone camera.
It was quite foggy at noon when we began. We set the exposure for the foggy weather, and were restricted to flying around 300ft until later in the flight when the sun broke through. At that point we went up to 500'.
The best imagery was from early in the flight before the sun came out. I selected one image that had the majority of the crowd and overlaid it on-top of imagery from later in the flight when we were able to fly higher as the fog dissipated and the sun broke through. I intentionally used one image for most of the crowd so that a somewhat accurate count can be done. Although there were lots of people obscured from view behind all of trees.
Need help making a map?
Do you have a site in mind which you'd like to map? Looking for collaborators or just need some tips and advice?
- Join the mailing list -- it's full of people all over the world who are offer advice and support
- Contact Public Laboratory staff directly
- Read about balloon mapping and assemble your own kit
- Download the 5-page illustrated guide to balloon and kite mapping
When getting in touch, be sure to mention:
- the coordinates of the site
- context; what you'd like to use the data for
How to use this data
How can you leverage this data towards concrete outcomes? ...
- Publishing this data on your site, in an article or a paper
- Interpreting and annotating
- Advocacy and activism
- Legal framework